“Examine what is said, not who speaks.”  —Arabian Proverb

June 05, 2005

Still Here

Hello!

Still here amongst the living. I’m currently finishing my first essay for my blog. Writing it is a real pain since I haven't written a coherent essay since high school.

Working on this blog is also forcing me to think about what I really think is important, and what I really think is important to me.

I know it is important to me to be myself. For me, being myself is hard to do because even though I am a 35 year old adult, I am still expected by both my parents to pay the role of respectful daughter who mustn't speak back-- even if they say something that if anybody else said it, I'd be able to tell them that I think it is stupid or silly.

I love my parents, but it makes me really sad that they expect me to conform to their idea of who I am, wether it is true or not.

Fortunately for me, I don’t have to deal with them every day, but I do have to deal with the rest of the world where I seem to be expected to conform to a certain type. By ‘type’ I mean race.

For the sake of simplicity I am African-American, but one of my sister’s classmates, when we were in high school, described me to her as “That ‘Indian’ chick is your sister?”

Truthfully, I am at an age where I don’t care what people think of me, because it is not something that I can control, but I do look forward to becoming an age that I can speak my mind out loud without having to be polite like ‘
Suga Momma’ on the “Proud Family.”

ttfn (Ta Ta For Now)

TAGS: update, relationships, parents, introspective, musings, blogging

No comments:

twitter updates

    follow me on Twitter
    articulation of my thoughts, my observations, myself