Yay! My very first book review! Yay!
Romance novelist Liz Maverick has envisioned a new world order for the City of Los Angeles in her book, “Crimson City.”  Sometime in the near future, L.A. is unofficially renamed “Crimson City,”by it’s inhabitants after a long and bloody war between humans, vampires, and werewolves-- which is ended by an uneasy truce between them. Book one in a six book series, this “paranormal action” romance novel follows the romantic involvement of Fluer DuMont-- leader of the vampires, and Dain Reston-- human leader of a Battlefield Operations (B-Ops) squad.
Overall, I very much enjoyed watching these two characters grow into a romantic couple who would do anything for the love of each other. I also enjoyed exploring the futuristic backdrop of a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles; learning the believable back story about the appearance of vampires and of werewolves; and learning about the establishment of Battlefield Operations. However, I was confused by the sub-plot involving the assassination of Fluer DuMont’s two half-brothers at the hands of a human created mech (cyborg).
Even though this sub-plot does introduce the main conflict between the main characters and defines the tension that exists between the inhabitants of “Crimson City,” it did not help clarify the role that B-Ops plays in solving the crime.
For example, B-Ops is described as not being a secret agency like the CIA, yet it’s operatives spy on the vampires and the werewolves just like they are ‘Big Brother.’ In fact, I get the impression that B-Ops is supposed to operate like “Miami Vice” where Crocket and Tubbs infiltrate the criminal element of society in order to eliminate it. Unfortunately, I cannot find any example of any Battlefield Operations operatives in “Crimson City” working to prevent crimes perpetrated by vampires or by werewolves.
Because I found the sub-plot so confusing, I found myself re-reading parts of the book to make sure I didn’t miss any clues. I guess I watch too many crime stories on TV to find the investigation of the double-murder to be believable.
Despite the sub-plot, I enjoyed reading “Crimson City,” and I look forward to reading the remaining books in the series.
T A G S : essay, book, review, romance, novels, vampires, werewolves

No comments:
Post a Comment