“Examine what is said, not who speaks.”  —Arabian Proverb

February 19, 2006

My Winter Experience

When I think of winter,
I am reminded of all
the times I played in
the snow as a child--
building snowmen,
throwing snowballs,
sledding down
mini hills
of snow.
I remember all the times
I walked in the snow
to get to the schoolbus stop,
to get back home afterwards,
or to
go to
the store
with mommy.
I think about the sweaters,
the scarves, and the coats
I've worn to fend off
the cold, chilly winds--
watching the
grey, overcast
skies while
gentle flakes
float down.
I remember watching the cool,
glassy facade of ice create
glittering sculptures of trees in
the glaring bright morning sun--
sharp, pointy
icicles adorning
the straight
edges of
roofs as
they drip
into the
icy snow
beneath them.
I remember the wondering awe
of houses, transformed by snow,
into gingerbread. I think about
the crisp clean smell of
freshly fallen
snow, and
of burning
wood crackling
in the
hot fireplace.
The smell of pine trees
remind me of Christmas, and
the smell of hot chocolate
reminds me of winter too.
poem winter memories
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

twitter updates

    follow me on Twitter
    articulation of my thoughts, my observations, myself