“Examine what is said, not who speaks.”  —Arabian Proverb

June 18, 2005

I “HEART” MY TEACHER

A few weeks ago, I attended a retirement dinner for teachers with my mom-- a featured honoree. I did not know what to expect when she and I entered a small cordoned off section of the local hotel ballroom.

Everyone was dressed “to the nines” enjoying the combined ambiance of music, small talk, and a well stocked bar. Truthfully, I felt a little bit out of place since I am not a teacher. The only people that I knew were my mom's co-workers who were there to help my mom celebrate her retirement after 27 years of teaching.

Shortly after being seated, a lot of my mom’s colleagues-- whom I have not met-- all came up to her to congratulate mom on achieving a career milestone and to wish her well on future endeavors. This show of support impressed me very much because I knew in the back of my mind that mom was a working professional, yet I only saw her as my mom when I was growing up. Plus, I don’t remember her ever touting her professional accomplishments to me or anyone else in my family, for that matter. Of course, teaching is my mom's world and not mine.

The dinner began with a delightful gourmet meal, followed by dessert, and a short speech by the guest speaker from the
NEA (National Education Association). When the speaker began her speech, I remember thinking, ‘Oh how dull-- she's repeating the exact same biography that the hostess gave us when she introduced the guest speaker!’

I soon changed my tune when the NEA speaker pointed out that there seems to be a lot of adults who aren’t familiar with the process of the school system, but were making silly rules about teaching. Every one laughed politely.

She then moved on to a story about the joy she felt when she realized that she was able to reach out to one of her students and completely changed that child’s outlook about learning, and about teachers too-- the child no longer felt that teachers should die. The speaker also included a story about another student, who not only influenced the way the NEA speaker taught children, but also taught the speaker something about herself as well-- that is, teachers must be both be compassionate and a model for compassion.

When I heard the guest speaker’s stories, I began to realize that not only are teachers advocates for education, but they are also advocates for children. As the hostess recounted the retiree’s most memorable moment of their career while they recieved their gifts, this theme repeated itself. Each retiree, including my mom, echoed the NEA speaker's joy about reaching one child and making a difference in that child's life.

I came away from the dinner knowing that I am proud of both my mom and her accomplishments as a teacher. I am also grateful that she has made a difference in my life as my mother, and a difference in her students lives as their teacher. I hope that she will continue to make a difference in the lives of my sisters and me and in the life of her granddaughter for a very long time.

Please take the time to hug your teacher today. If you cannot personally hug a teacher, then at least
vote for a candidate who is not only an advocate for children, but is also an advocate for teachers.

*I’d like to thank my friends Quinn and Theri for helping me to revise and refine my essay.

TAGS: teach, work, advocate, retirement, dinner, NEA, vote, children, education, compassion.

No comments:

twitter updates

    follow me on Twitter
    articulation of my thoughts, my observations, myself