“Examine what is said, not who speaks.”  —Arabian Proverb

June 14, 2006

3 Interesting Facts About the Belmont Stakes



Yes, I know that the race has come and gone, but I still have found 3 interesting facts about the Belmont Stakes from wikipedia.org that I would like to tell you about:

#1.  Until 1996, the traditional post parade song was, “Sidewalks of New York.”  In 1997, “Theme from New York, New York” was sung instead.  Unfortunately, I don’t know whether or not if the “Theme from New York, New York” was sung this year or not.  It probably was.

#2.  Due to anti-betting legislation, in the state of New York, the Belmont Stakes was closed down form 1911 to 1912.

#3.  Belmont Stakes originally follow the the English tradition of racing clock-wise until 1921.

ttfn



T A G S : Belmont Stakes, Triple Crown, New York, songs, English, horseracing

No comments:

Post a Comment

twitter updates

    follow me on Twitter
    articulation of my thoughts, my observations, myself